Monday, October 18, 2010

Finger Versus Tablesaw (Tablesaw - 1, Finger - 0)

Every year in Utah the teachers "get" to go to meetings for 2 days, which gives a nice 2 day fall break. I have very fond memories from when I was a kid, going to my aunt's cabin and playing for UEA weekend. We would all play outside, while the mom's would do some sort of painting project. As we got older, WE got to paint. It was so much fun! My family has tried to continue this painting ritual now that we have our own children. We (my mom, myself, and 3 sisters) painted during General Conference, but I had another project that I didn't quite get cut out for UEA. So on Wednesday night, I decided to get the frame for the project cut before going down to my sister's on Thursday.

As I made the 1 1/2 inch first cut, the thought went through my mind that I didn't want my finger close to the blade, so I let the saw throw back the strip of wood (unsafe, I know, and also bad for the saw, but there was no one behind me, and so it was better than trying to guide it through.). I found a push block to use for the rest of the cuts, and it went well. Until the last cut. I was trimming a piece off that was only about 1/4-1/2 inch thick. I was pushing with the push block with my right hand, and trying to keep the little piece going with my left hand, when the little piece slipped a bit. My middle and pointer fingers got nicked by the blade. My pointer only got a nail broken and a blood blister (thank goodness) but my middle finger got the top 1/8 taken off. I had my dad run me to the instacare, and after 5 shots, my finger was numb enough to stitch up. I only had to get about 6 (maybe less) stitches, and my finger is feeling a lot better. I am sad because the doctor said I can't do anything that puts pressure on it for a while, including playing the piano, clarinet, or saxophone. Typing is also a pain. I really have to think about the keys I am hitting. But I was truly blessed that I only lost that much - it could have been a LOT worse of an injury. Anyways, I get the stitches out on the 24, I'll try to post pictures as it heals!!


1 comment: