Saturday, June 6, 2009

Nature Center

One day for play group, we went to the Nature Center.  I hadn't ever been there before, but it was SO cool!  I forgot my camera that day (of course!) and we went back a few days later as a family, and I forgot my camera THAT day, too!  I was so disappointed in myself.  My friend Birrd  wanted an outing because they were studying the plains for home school.  She called me, and I told her we should go to the Nature Center so they could learn about the plains.  There is a museum there that has information about the plains, movies about animals, and an observation deck that overlooks some wetlands.  Then there are a bunch of different walking paths to walk around and enjoy the nature.  It is SO pretty and serene there - it is a place my kids requested going to before the move!
Roo, O, Fish, Birrd, Rabbit and K walking over a bridge.  Isn't it nice and green?  I LOVE all the colors!
Bean, Fish, Roo, O and K.  I really do miss my mountains, especially when we get into an area like this that doesn't have any buildings blocking the view.  It is pretty, in it's own special way!
:)
The visitors center area sells cones full of turtle food for 25 cents.  How could I not indulge the kids each with a cone!  Although, it is VERY tempting to eat the food out of it yourself because normally food in ice cream cones is good to eat.  We had to watch the little ones on THAT one!

K and Fish feeding the turtles.  Red-Eared Sliders are native to Kansas, as well as other soft-shelled turtles.  Mostly there are Red-Eared Sliders at the Nature Center.  There are a TON of them all over - swimming in the ponds, basking in the sun - just lots of fun to watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment