Sunday, September 27, 2009

Homemaking

Since moving back to live with my mom, I have really become a true homemaker. Shortly after moving in, my sister (who just bought a house with a ton of fruit trees) called and said that she had some cherries she thought were ready to pick. We went over (after stripping my mom's miniature cherry tree) and picked 1/3 of my sister's tree. My sister has a HUGE tree. A lot bigger than we thought it was going to be. a LOT bigger. I wish I would have gotten a picture of the tree before we picked it. It had SO many cherries on it. Between my mom's little tree and my sister's big tree, we canned 76-quarts of cherry pie filling.

I've also helped can green beans, cucumbers (we made both dill and bread and butter pickles), applesauce, salsa, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, blackberry syrup, marmelade, apricot jam, and apricot syrup. This may not seem like a lot to some people, but considering all I did EVER in my life (by myself, not counting the LITTLE bit I helped when I was growing up) was 12 pints of spaghetti sauce last year.

I also decided to make a Levi quilt for A. I started cutting the squares before we moved from Wichita, but finished in August. This is the second quilt I've ever made, so I was VERY proud of myself for finishing. I took a picture of a bunch of the canning and the quilt, but we just dumped all my pictures onto the external hard drive and deleted them off the computer, so I may not get them posted any time soon. But I do feel a big sense of accomplishment from all the work this summer!! Now if I can survive the rest of the tomatoes and the apple pie apples we're getting next week!!!

1 comment: