Sunday, May 22, 2011

The week

After having such a busy week last week, I was looking forward to a more "laid-back" week this week. But isn't that when you can just expect the week to be busy? It ended up being a lot busier of a week than I imagined it would!!

Sunday - WAS laid-back. We went to my mom's for dinner after church. Definitely laid-back.

Monday - Checked my e-mail and I had a random e-mail from someone I wasn't sure about. When I opened it, I realized I DID know who this random person was, but why on earth was he e-mailing me? Turns out that his dad (who was our landlord for 3 years) had passed away and he had just signed on and copied his dad's whole e-mail list to send the info to. Paul's passing - what does it mean to me? I was really saddened to hear of his passing. We got to know him really well. We lived in his basement, and when you live that close to someone, it is hard NOT to get to know them well. My kids are similar ages to his grandkids, so whenever they would come we would play with them as well. We all have some really great memories of Paul and the things that he did for our family. More on this later. We also went to my mom's for Bigleman #1's birthday party.

Tuesday - A ran in the annual Wellsville Mile race. They have been running this race for (I think) 32 years. I ran it when I was in elementary school. They get all the elementary schools for the south part of our school district together and have the 4th and 5th graders compete in a mile long race. They train for about a month before hand, keeping track of their times so they can place the students into different heats. A was in the fastest heat in the 4th grade. She was very proud of herself. The day would have been better if the sun would have been out, but at least it wasn't raining!!! A ran so well!! She came in 35th of the 80 runners in her heat with an unofficial time of 8:16. And she had fun (which is what matters to me!!)! I'm proud of her work so that she would be able to run the mile the way she wanted to.

So while I was there, I was hanging out trying to keep A warm while we watched the 5th graders when this random person came up to me and asked who I was. Turns out it was one of my roommates when I was away for college! I haven't seen her in YEARS!! (Literally. I think it's been at least 12 years since I saw her last. For reals.) Believe it or not, her son is in A's school class. And she lives just a few blocks from us. Across the street from some of my really good friends from high school. And now she is good friends with them. Crazy! It is amazing how small the world really is! We had a good visit for a few minutes and I'm excited to try to have them over to our house sometime in the summer so the hubby can meet them!

Wednesday - I realized on Wednesday that if we were going to be leaving for the funeral on Thursday, I had a lot of stuff that needed to get done. I needed to sew some birthday presents for my niece (my mom was already sending a package to her so I needed to get it to add to the package) AND I hadn't even STARTED my card for my card club this month - and it was Thursday!!! I was in trouble!! No, I was just busy! :) I in my laundry room the whole morning working on the present and cutting stuff out for my card. Then I went to my mom's and she helped me assemble the card. Bless you mom!! It would have taken me a lot longer if I wouldn't have gone over there. She had the hole punch I was looking for and the time to assemble it. I managed to get everything done that I needed to! Horray!!

Thursday - We delivered my card to the hostess of the card club (and I breathed a huge sigh of relief that I was finished!) and went home and spent the day packing and doing laundry. I got all the girl's clothes washed and folded before we left town. I was VERY proud of myself! We went to Ogden right after hubby got home from work. We stayed the night at my big brother's house. His #2 had a band concert, so we went to the viewing then went to her concert. I had the hubby drop me off so we didn't have to fight the kids during the concert. He went home and I snuck in in time to hear the last 2 songs. And thank goodness that I didn't bring the kids. The place was packed! There would have been no where to sit!! After the concert, we put kids to bed, played a few games, then went to bed ourselves.

Friday - We went to the Hill Aerospace Museum before the funeral. We hadn't been there for a while, and it was one of our favorite places when we lived in Ogden. It's so much fun there! Not so much fun for an 18-month-old who can't touch anything, but fun for the 4-10 year olds who like to look at planes. Then we went to the funeral, went home, got unpacked and went to bed.

Saturday - We worked in the yard, went to the library, played games with the Slack's, and S and I were in a parade in north Cache Valley.

The funeral: Paul had 3 kids. Somehow, all 3 kids managed to talk at his funeral. I know 2 of the 3 pretty well, the 3rd lives in California and Paul went to their house more than they came to his. So I don't know her very well. They all gave such amazing talks and memories of their dad. He was a great man. His older daughter's talk was a testimony of the Plan of Salvation. It was such a good reminder to me, and I felt the Holy Ghost so much during her talk. She talked about Elder Bednar's tender mercies. How it was a tender mercy for her parents to be up babysitting her kids the weekend he died instead of down in St. George golfing like he had planned to. (His death was VERY sudden, he died from kidney failure in his sleep while the family was at church) She was able to come home from her trip on Saturday and he was waiting up for her. She had a chance to thank him for everything, give him another hug, tell him that she loved him. Also, her mom was not alone after he died, while she would have been had they been home. She quoted a line from the musical Wicked - because I knew you, I have been changed for good. That was Paul in a nutshell. He made the world a better place. He always had a smile on his face, even though he was almost always suffering with pain. He was willing to do anything for the people he knew and loved. He was a great example to me about how to show Christ-like love to other people. I'm going to miss that man a great deal.

That was our week in a nutshell!

No comments:

Post a Comment